In complying with the standards and recommended practices from the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the International Ships and Ports Facility Security Code (ISPS), all contracting governments were encouraged to issue appropriate Security Identification Badges to persons entitled to board ships or enter port facilities when performing their duties. St. Christopher and Nevis became compliant when they adapted this policy in 2004.
The purpose of this Security Identification Badge is to restrict access to security access areas to authorized persons while on duty when undertaking company business, and to enable unauthorized persons to be identified within a security restricted area.
How to Apply for a Security Identification Badge
- A letter of application must be sent by the employer or business owner to the General Manager of the Authority, supplying personal details and the job description of the prospective Badge holder, and stating the need for the Badge. (A VALID POLICE CERTIFICATE MUST ACCOMPANY THE APPLICATION).
- A background check will be carried out on the person for whom the Badge is requested.
- Once the application is approved, the prospective badge holder must appear in person at the Security Department at the Seaport.
- A Terms of Issue Application Form must be accurately completed by the prospective Badge holder.
- The Security Identification Badge will be processed with the information received, and color coded for the specific area(s) applicable to duties to be performed on the facility.
The cost of the Badge is as follows: EC$50.00 (regular) and EC$100.00 (vendors).
Access Control Procedures at the Seaport
- Identification Badge Holders
The ID Badge must be visibly worn above the waist as specified by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and in the International Ships and Ports Facility Security (ISPS) Code.
When entering the facility, the holders will present the Identification Badge to the Security Officer for inspection, and state their area of business.
- Customers Without Identification Badge
All customers are required to state their business when entering the facility.
Persons clearing cargo or personal effects must present their documents (e.g. Customs Entry Form) for verification of legitimate business on the facility. Once the Security Officer is satisfied with the inspection, customers will be directed to Warehouse Facility 1 or 2 and informed of parking restrictions.
Persons requiring administrative assistance or having appointments must state their name, the department to which they are going, and the person they wish to see.
Customers must wait for verification from the person they wish to see. Once confirmation is received, customers will be issued a Visitor Identification Card which must be visibly worn above the waist.
In exchange for the Visitor Card, customers are required to leave with the Issuing Officer a valid identification card (Passport, Social Security Card, Drivers License, or National Voters Identification Card). Once the Visitor Card is turned in, the identification card will be returned.
All employees and valued customers are kindly asked to comply with the rules, regulations, instructions and directions given by the security officer or authorized officer.